Cardiovascular sonography technologists, also referred to as cardiac sonographers or cardiac ultrasound technicians, help physicians diagnose cardiac as well as peripheral vascular ailments inpatient using diagnostic imaging technology. Cardiovascular technologists work in a variety of healthcare settings and generally practice medical and technical duties under the invasive or non-invasive cardiology.
Cardiovascular Sonography Technologist
Advance your Career in Cardiovascular Technology
Registered with Accreditation Canada under Diagnostic medical sonography, our cardiovascular sonography technologist program offers in-depth knowledge of diagnostic cardiac sonography.
- Prepare for a rewarding career with theoretical and clinical skills in cardiac sonography.
- Equip yourself with a versatile skill-set in cardiac, vascular, and echocardiography modalities.
- Learn from industry professionals and practice in a clinical setting.
Specialist healthcare professionals are in high demand in Canada. Demand for cardiovascular technologists is increasing with the growing population and with efforts to reduce instances of heart diseases and better quality of life.
According to Job bank Canada, Job opportunities for Cardiology technologists and cardiovascular technologists are fair in Ontario over the next 3 years. According to PayScale, the average hourly pay for cardiovascular sonography technologist is C$30.85.
Upon completion of the program, you can explore a variety of career paths:
- Echocardiography technician
- Cardiac ultrasound technician/technologist
- Ultrasound technician
- Diagnostic cardiac sonographer
- Diagnostic medical technologist
- Vascular sonography technologist
What do cardiovascular sonography technologists and technicians do?
Cardiac ultrasound technicians and technologists work in invasive or non-invasive cardiology:
- Invasive cardiology involves inserting catheters into a patient’s artery to diagnose and treat blockages that may be the cause of specific heart problems.
- Non-invasive cardiology focuses on the diagnosis of the issues through the ultrasound scanner.
- Cardiovascular sonographers perform echocardiograms, which involves performing ultrasounds on all components of the heart.
- Echocardiography, as well as vascular technologies, are branches of diagnostic medical sonography.
Duties & responsibilities of Cardiovascular Sonography Technologist include:
- Operate ultrasound imaging equipment to produce images that require examination.
- Monitor examination by viewing images on a video screen, evaluate the quality and consistency of diagnostic images, and make adjustments to equipment accordingly.
- Record, store, and process scanned images by using a camera unit connected to ultrasound equipment.
- Observe and care for patients throughout examinations to ensure patient safety as well as comfort.
- Prepare examination reports for physicians to aid in the monitoring of pregnancies as well as the diagnosis of cardiac, abdominal, ophthalmic, vascular, and other disorders.
- Perform quality control checks on ultrasound equipment to ensure proper operation and perform minor repairs and adjustments are required.
- May supervise and train students and other medical sonographers.
BizTech College’s cardiovascular sonography technologist program includes both echocardiography and vascular modalities in one diploma.
As one of the very few colleges in Ontario to offer a cardiovascular sonography technologist program, BizTech College allows you to gain a versatile skill-set to be ready for technologist jobs and exciting healthcare career in Canada.
- Upon successful completion of the Cardiovascular Sonography Technologist program and registration with Sonography Canada, graduates are eligible to register with the CMRITO.
- Valuable experience gained through clinical placements of 600 Hours
- One-of-a-kind program covering both echocardiography and vascular competencies.
- High importance is given to essential sciences components, including (but not limited to) anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology in addition to physical diagnosis.
Throughout BizTech College’s sonography training program, you will gain in-depth knowledge of the subject and and learn how to:
- Perform ultrasound procedures and interpret examination findings.
- Record accurate medical history, physical examination and examination procedures using correct medical terminology and standard abbreviations.
- Thorough understanding of legal and ethical requirements of the profession and comply absolutely with provincial, federal and CMRITO legislation.
- Establish effective oral and nonverbal communication with the patient, patient’s relatives and other health care professionals.
- Use apt professional judgement and practice within limits of personal knowledge, skill and acumen.
- Maintain professional appearance, manner and conduct expected out of a qualified, competent and accustomed Sonographer.
- Provide safe, comfortable and dignified environment to the patient which is truly aligned with standards of practice and guidelines provided by professional organizations such as Sonography Canada and CMRITO.
- Understand and apply proper body mechanics and ergonomic techniques to ensure self and patiently safety.
- Know and implement appropriate Infection Control measures to safeguard self and the patient against contagious disease processes.
- Employing principles of ultrasound physics and Instrumentation, achieve a high quality and diagnostically useful ultrasound study.
- Apt knowledge and understanding of ultrasound equipment set-up, equipment operation and equipment maintenance along with implementation of steps required for quality assurance of ultrasound equipment and ultrasound study.
- Apply appropriate critical thinking techniques in understanding and solving complex, unusual and exceptional problems/situations.
- Assist the physicians in performing highly specialized procedures such as Contrast studies, Transesophageal echocardiography and Interventional procedures.
- By integrating knowledge of Anatomy and disease processes evaluate images for normal and diagnostically important abnormal findings and accordingly prepare examination report for the Physician for final report.
As a BizTech College student, you are guaranteed hands-on, situational training, supervised by qualified sonography professionals, in a real-world, clinical setting. Our partnerships with local clinics and hospitals provide you with the opportunity to work alongside highly skilled professionals in a fast-paced, urban environment.
Clinical placement is a critical part of your sonography program. During your internship, you will have the opportunity to foster meaningful connections with potential employers, which can serve you well as you search for ultrasound technician jobs upon graduation.
Competencies are based on the National Competency Profile by Sonography Canada.
Students looking to enroll in our Cardiovascular Sonography Technologist program must first meet the following prerequisites:
- Mature students status (18 years old and over)
- Ontario High School diploma, must have taken grade 12 level Biology, Mathematics and Physics
- Clean criminal record and vulnerable sector screening checks
- Complete immunization records as per the program requirement
- Successful completion of the Wonderlic test